For those of you who also don't know, the American series "Secrets and Lies" is based on the Australian series "Secrets & Lies". The first season of both involved an identical plot line, however, in the American version it is Ben Crawford who is accused of murdering his 5-year-old neighbor, Tom.
The news of Henderson's return first appeared on the site Daily Mail:
- Meet McDreamy's replacement! Patrick Dempsey lookalike Martin Henderson joins Grey's Anatomy cast
- By KAYLA CALDWELL FOR MAILONLINE
- Fans were devastated when Dr. Derek Shepherd - aka McDreamy - played by Patrick Dempsey, was killed off in season 11.
- However, it appears Shonda Rhimes is trying to make it up to them, as the series' newest addition Martin Henderson bears an uncanny resemblance to the fan favorite 49-year-old.
- And the 40-year-old actor, who already has a working relationship with Shonda, has been cast as a series regular on the popular ABC drama, as reported by Deadline.
- Martin already has experience playing a dreamy, life-saving doctor, as he starred in the short-lived 2011 ABC series Off the Map, executive produced by Grey's Anatomy creator Shonda.
- No details have been revealed about Martin's character yet, but he is expected to play a new surgeon at Seattle Grace.
- He also starred in her production company's drama pilot The Box, and appears in thriller Everest, which hits theaters in September.
- Martin originally found fame working in his home country of New Zealand on hospital drama Shortland Street from 1992-1995, before moving to Australia where he starred in soap operas Echo Point and Sweat.
- He continued gaining acclaim in Australia, working on series Big Sky and Home and Away, earning an AFI nomination for his work on the film Kick.
- Most recently he starred in the original Australian series Secrets and Lies - which was remade by ABC - and Sundance Channel's drama The Red Road.
- His resemblance to fan-favorite Derek Shepherd (Patrick) is likely no coincidence, as the character was recently killed off in a season 11 episode titled How To Save A Life, to the devastation of many.
- His character was hit by a truck after after helping the victims of a car accident in the shocking episode, after which he was rushed to the hospital suffering from major head trauma, alive but unable to speak.
- None of the staff took the correct procedure of giving him a CT scan, which he fruitlessly tried to communicate to them.
- On top of that, the hospital's neurosurgeon was delayed, arriving too late, and Shepherd was declared brain dead.
- His wife Meredith (played by Ellen Pompeo) arrived and signed the papers to switch off his life support.
- However, despite many fans' devastation, the show will continue on. Shonda released a statement after the episode, saying: 'Now, Meredith and the entire Grey's Anatomy family are about to enter uncharted territory as we head into this new chapter of her life.'
- 'The possibilities for what may come are endless. As Ellis Grey would say: "the carousel never stops turning".'
- Another actor that will be a part of that next chapter is Jason George, as he has also been signed on as a series regular.
- Jason has made guest appearances as Dr. Ben Warren since 2010, starring in 42 episodes of the series.
- Season 12 of Grey's Anatomy premieres this fall on ABC.
It will definitely be exciting getting to see a familiar face! We're looking forward to seeing Ben Gundelach's return! Well not really Ben. He was a house painter. Now he's a doctor. Hey, money's definitely better! Anyhow, looks like we got two shows to look forward too, as the second season of the American version of "Secrets and Lies" is tentatively scheduled for a September debut. We'll let you know!
And you never know, this could help secure a second season for the Australian version of "Secrets & Lies". You just never know...